Re: [OM] Digi adventures

Subject: Re: [OM] Digi adventures
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:39:14 -0500
At 10:39 PM 12/7/2003, I wrote:
>Also, I could not find a way to switch seamlessly from auto-focus
>to manual focus without flipping a switch.

I was wrong, you can set the E-1 camera to allow manual tweaking in
autofocus mode. The camera is highly customizable. While looking
at the E1 with an Olympus rep, (the ma-1 will be available, but not
in usa), I also handled the new C5060 camera. Those who lament
the slower lens, it's not that much loss to get the wider 4x zoom.
Also, the auto focus is considerably faster. The lens assembly is
actually larger than the C5050. I was very tempted to get one, even
though I already have the C5050. The speed performance increase
more than offsets any other drawbacks. Also, the display fully
rotates to all positions. It's a nice camera. Some of the other
stylus like digitals were nice feeling. Clearly this the market
Olympus will make its money in.

After spending a bit of time with the E-1, I'm still uncertain it is
the camera to be. The rep said Olympus intends to produce
a nearly complete OM-like lenses and accessories. The camera
will do well for certain types of photography. I personally think
the 4/3 sensor size is optimal at the 5mp size for noise and dynamic
range, but hopefully I will be proved wrong. It did feel weird to look
at the body size compared to the mirror box. There may also be
an eyepiece magnifier - reps speculation. I tried to imagine what
the grip was like in light of Ag's comments on the Canon grips.
I fear the E1 and Canon may be similar. You'll have to get your
hands on one and let us know.

Image stabilization is locked up in patents, so it is unlikely there
will be IS for the E1.

I think the 1.4x adapter may be most useful with the 50mm macro
lens, making it a 100mm macro. There is also a 25mm extension
tube. 10 years from now, prices on used E-system gear will be
reasonable in price.

Wayne