Re: [OM] OM Pin-hole photography problem - help!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Pin-hole photography problem - help!
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:35:01 -0500
Let me put this in country boy, hillbilly terms.  This is how I
understand it as it relates to an OM-4(T)(i).

Every shutter speed starts out as 1/60 sec.  What it turns into
thereafter depends on how closely the second curtain follows the
first.  The first curtain has a pattern on it that has
approximately the same reflectance as unexposed film.  After the
mirror flips out of the way, the metering cell on the floor of the
camera reads the light reflected from the first shutter curtain
until it moves out of the way and then reads directly off the
film.  Depending on these readings, the second curtain could
follow the first almost immediately, leaving a tiny gap between
the back side of the first curtain and the leading edge of the
second, resulting in an effective shutter speed of 1/2000 sec., or
anything in between that and a long, long time, like not starting
the second curtain until the first has been gone for 10 or 15
seconds.

It may not be techno-speak -- hell, it may even be wrong -- but
this simple-minded understanding works for me and has kept me from
wasting a lot of film for a long time.

Walt

"I was raised in the country.  I been working in the town.
I been in trouble ever since I set my suitcase down." -- Bob Dylan