[OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics

Subject: [OM] E-1 vs. the world & Zuikoholics
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:54:59 -0500
As I've said before, we all need to get over the FACT that Olympus doesn't care
one rat's ass about the die-hard OM-System fans and their stockpiles of lenses
or equipment.  If you decide to go C.H.'s route with a Canon DSLR body, you get
to use them in stop down mode.  Otherwise, they're a dead-end.

The MA-1 adapter will likely never come to market, as it doesn't offer enough
upside to Olympus.  They want to sell more lenses than bodies.  The E-1 has
been designed as a single system and is getting kudos from working
professionals for it's high build quality, intelligent design, high-performance
lenses, small kit size, and workflow effeciencies.  Except for the possible
small sensor size limitations, the only real issues that have been mentioned
(moire, histogram, and noise), can all be improved by firmware.  But it will
have a very hard time pushing major N or C users off their perches, especially
those that rely upon long, IS/VR lenses.  Remember, the professional market's
investment in old Zuiko glass is miniscule and doesn't represent a barrier to
Olympus' marketing and product development plans.  This is exactly the opposite
of the big N/C shops.

The only way that Olympus was going to break into the market was with a new,
grounds-up design.  Otherwise, they're products would be relegated to the
status of the Pentax *ist-D, which is garnering NO EXCITEMENT WHATSOEVER,
unless you're a die-hard Pentax fan.  This is notwithstanding the fact that it
got a very favorable review in AP a couple of weeks ago.  It's a solid, solid
camera, but with no way to be seen in the market.

The sweet spot right now for E-1 sales seems to be pros who shoot normal,
non-action photos and want a reliable system that gets the job done; and have
had an underwhelming experience with their D100's or 10D's.   That's a pretty
big market.  Most pros are NOT Photojournalists, they are portrait, event,
wedding, product, and fashion photographers.  Will that market be enough to
allow Olympus to keep the system alive?  Only time will tell.

I for one am still sold on the E-1 and it's philosophy.  As the price drops
nearer to PMA'04 in Feb I may buy a kit, but I REALLY want to see what happens
with N & C.  I have convinced myself that I could buy an E-1 system and keep
the body intact, churning out prints up to 11x14 for 2 years and be VERY happy.
 I haven't printed more than a dozen 11x14's in 5 years!  I'd sacrifice 2-3
MgPx for a system that was easy to use and effecient.  Within those 2 years,
there WILL be a higher density 4/3 chip and likely another E body or two.  I'll
just trade the film cost vs. the body's depreciation. (2 yrs = 200 rolls * $12
ea TCO = $2000)

Skip