[OM] Re: E-1 impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 impressions
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:27:29 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:46:40 -0500
>From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] More E-1 stuff...

>The nonsense that's getting posted about this camera is truly
>astounding....
>No B&W? And what pro DSLR gives you real b&w...? Just convert using one
>of many very very good PS plug ins...

>4/3...Okay, either you like it or you don't....It sure hasn't caused me
>any problems and I've shot 35 mm and 2 1/4 for some 40something years...

>Expensive? No more so than similarly built cameras....

>YOU couldn't figure out how to get the histogram...That's the CAMERA's
>fault? Just push the INFO button on the back twice....first push gets
>you over exposure points, second gets you the histogram...it's virtually
>instantaneous...

B.D.,
I didn't post any of the the stuff you cite above. Danrich did from the Gary
Fong review that I originally posted a link to, and it looked like I posted
these comments from the way Danrich posted the quote. I merely posted the link
to the review by Gary Fong. You have issues with what Gary Fong wrote? Take
them up with him.

>Only three lenses? No fast telephoto? What the *#$ are you talking
>about...there are NOW four lenses...2.8-3.5 14-54 (28-110 35 equiv) 50f2
>macro (100 f2 35 equiv) 50-200 2.8-3.5 tele zoom (100-400 35 equiv) and
>the 300 2,8 (600 35 equiv)....a 100-400 that's 2.8-3.5 is GD fast...as
>is the 300 2.8.... Further, Olympus has promised an 11-22 (22-44 35
>equiv) early next year, and several other lenses over the course of next
>year, and more the following year - including fast primes and wide
>primes...

Once, again, I did not write this. Likely when Gary Fong wrote, there *were*
only three lenses available. If you have issues with what Danrich posted as a
quote from Gary Fong, once again, take it up with Gary Fong.

>Call me a curmudgeon - call me whatever you like...

Okay, you're a curmudgeon.

>But I really don't
>understand people who walking into a store, play with a camera that's
>entirely new to them, and start making prononcements about it.
>If you don't like Olympus because it broke your heart when it stopped
>supporting the OM line, fine. If you don't think the E-1 stacks up
>against the competion, fine. But if you're going to "review" the camera,
>try spending some real time with it; learn its features; shoot with it
>under real conditions; compare it in a fair way to the competition.
>Don't just pop off a few shots in a camera store and start making
> pronouncements.

Hey, B.D,  it's a free country, remember? People can post what they like here.
I made it clear in my initial post that they were simply observations made in a
very short time with the camera. I think many listmembers found them to be of
at least some interest.   Certainly from the no. of posts relating to it, it
has generated some very interesting discussion. At least it's photography
related rather discussions of opossums, eBay selling practices or SUVs, or who
shoots and eat rabbits. I made it clear in subsequent posts that some of my
observations would likely change with some time with the camera to get familiar
with it, and that I *planned*  to get some time with the camera. Life's too
short...Lighten up.

-Stephen.