Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography

Subject: Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:23:41 -0800
Thanks for the info John.

>I believe if you shoot available light with a 50/1.2 or an 85/2 at f/2
>(don't use the 50 wide open . . . too little depth of field) you'll find
>what you get will have *much* better lighting that the guy shooting with
>the Lumiquest (and annoying not only you but who knows how many others) . .
>. even if your friend doesn't crank up the lights any....

I guess then the f1.2 is only of benefit for focusing in low light. I
never have shot it @ full open. Perhaps a 50/1.4 would be a better
choice? At this venue an 85/2 is way too long. I would use a 35/2 if I
had one. The band is only 6-8 feet away.  (Yes, Mr. N*kon was literally
sticking his camera right in the face of Mr. Rock n Roll Star, I would
have punched him the second time he did it). The problem with lighting
is placement, behind the band. I have asked my friend to position a
couple lights in front. This is not a fancy gig, rather a few guys
getting together to jam and the restaurant provides the place, and sells
a lot of beer. I have a roll of Fuji 1600 sitting in the fridge and have
been looking for an excuse to use it.

Mike