Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography

Subject: Re: [OM] problem with digital and concert photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:28:59 -0500
At 09:38 PM 11/20/03, Mike wrote (in part):
OK so maybe this is sour grapes but last night I discovered one problem with digital that i hadn't considered before.
[snip]
And besides, despite the N*kon guys big brick all his photos while good lacked the ambiance. Flash blew out all of the existing lighting. Actually the lighting there is really crappy but the flash was worse. I would like to try my 50/1.2 and existing light but I've got to talk to my friend in the band to do something about the lighting for next week, like add some.

I believe if you shoot available light with a 50/1.2 or an 85/2 at f/2 (don't use the 50 wide open . . . too little depth of field) you'll find what you get will have *much* better lighting that the guy shooting with the Lumiquest (and annoying not only you but who knows how many others) . . . even if your friend doesn't crank up the lights any. If you want B&W (IMO works well with blues) then try TMax P3200 or Ilford Delta 3200. If you can get away with EI 1600, do it and have it developed Push 1. If not, crank it up to EI 3200 and go Push 2. For color, the fastest is Fuji Press 1600 (true speed), and AFIK it doesn't push well. It is pretty forgiving of use under tungsten if the printer is decently experienced (I use it for wedding ceremonies w/o flash).
http://johnlind.tripod.com/blues/
(TMax P3200 at EI 1600 and the lighting was fairly low; shutter speeds were 1/30th and 1/60th)

But i think digital does encourage the shotgun approach to photography.

Yes, indeed it does!

-- John