Re: [OM] 35-70/3.6 -- hood how important?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/3.6 -- hood how important?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:48:11 -0800
Well I can't really say how important, since I always used my hood. It seems a shame to use this lens without the hood, since it is one of only a very few zooms where the hood continues to be effective beyond the shortest focal length. Also, the hood fits nicely in the case when reversed over the lens.

Not nearly as elegant, but optically effective would be a Hoya "Multi Lens Hood", a rubber hood which 'pops' to different lengths for different focal lengths. But it takes up the filter threads and doesn't accept filters or lens caps itself. And, of course, it moves out with the front of the lens as it is zoomed to shorter focal lengths, rather than staying put to vary it's angle coverage as the Oly hood does.

Moose

Siddiq wrote:

now that i've ordered myself this lens, how critical is it to have the hood that goes with it? this will be my walk around lens in india, and i dont want to have half shots filled with flare and such. thanks