Re: [OM] E1 sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 sensor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:15:53 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

So, when Olympus get an improved low noise 4/3 sensor others with larger
sensor will get even lower noise, the 4/3 sensor  will never as low noise as
the others under the same technology.
I agree. My question is whether the difference will be important once some threshhold is passed.

My guess on the 12mp max is also based
on what most of us  need not only the technology limitation.

Seems right.

May be you only need 5MP as you are satisfied with 2MP for 8x10, I'm using
the 10D and the 6MP is sure not enough for landscape even handheld.

The 8x10s I've done have been of kids and grandkids and medium close shots of flowers. They don't really have the sharpness of good 35mm, I suppose, if viewed critically close-up, but there is something striking about them that is very pleasing. I suspect it is in the accuracy and linearity of color. I agree that 2mp is not very useful for landscape with a lot of far distant detail. But then such landscapes don't look good to me as small as 8x10 anyway.

Moose