Re: [OM] OM /OT BRITISH BEERS

Subject: Re: [OM] OM /OT BRITISH BEERS
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:34:17 +0000
"... if my sweetheart is stout ..." ho, ho Piers!

I was at RAF Lossiemouth for the operational conversion unit to the Jaguar in 1978 when I was introduced to "cheap beer" (CB for short) and "dear beer" (DB) - 70 shilling and 80 shilling? I soon found that the taste, not good to begin with, grew worse as an evening drew on, and that the hangover was awful. It might of course have been the way it was kept in the Officers' Mess bar, but no one was particularly enamoured of those beers. Nowadays a bar has to stock good chewy beer; at Wyton we have Directors and IPA for instance and you are welcome to visit some Friday for a Happy Hour.

For our friends outside Scotland, RAF Lossiemouth is on the Moray Firth east of Inverness and very close to the Highlands of Scotland. It is a lovely spot and flying from there was one of the highlights of my career.

Chris