Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......

Subject: Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:59:00 -0800
Sorry to hear you had first hand experience...

Thirty years ago I had a summer job working for the forest service. Many
of the year-round employees believed a good number of the summer fires
were started by part time fire fighters in order to have work. The
closest I got to a fire was a smoldering railroad tie, which I was told
was pretty common in the Feather River Canyon because of the train
brakes locking up. Getting paid two and a half times normal wages
(overtime and hazard pay) was pretty nice especially when it was less of
a hazard than most campfires.
-jeff