Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......

Subject: Re: [OM] ..... OT Fires in California......
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:01:37 -0800
Walt Wayman wrote:

I doubt anybody here feels and understands more that I do what many of these folks are experiencing. I've been watching on the box as much as I can bear, and it's really hard for me.

Well, I don't know about that. We didn't get burned out in '91, 'cause the fire started where the wind was in our favor, but we could go up 3 or 4 blocks and watch Oakland burn. Pretty awesome and scary. Whoomph, a big tree would go up. A couple of minutes later, whoomph, the adjacent house would go up, repeated over and over. One family of friends were in a pocket of a few homes that somehow were spared while others all around were destroyed. Eerie when we visited. Other friends were burned out. Some folks were coming up with U-Hauls to pack up and be ready to go in my neighborhood, but I was pretty sure about the weather. Those dry, hot autumn winds never shift much.

My brother in-law Mario and his girlfriend were to be married at the country club in the first area burned out. On the way over from SF, they called her sister to ask about the smoke they saw. By the time they got to her house, they got to help evacuate - in a big hurry, barely made it out ahead of the fire. The family dog bit Mario on the chin - 20-+ stitches. To this day they are living together, but never tried to get married again and Mario has a beard to hide the scars.
Moose