Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:40:06 -0700

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 12:36 PM, Earl Dunbar wrote:

This may have been covered before I joined the list; if so, sorry, and feel free to reply off list.

I foresee myself continuing to mostly shoot film rather than digital for some time, not unlike a lot of others here.  So, what scanners are people using, recommend, etc.?  My requirements are mostly for 35mm, BUT I do have a need for up to 4x5 scans.  I suppose my 2-1/4 and 4x5 material could be jobbed out, but then I'm forced to find a good service for that, not to mention the relative cost vs. just buying a 4x5-capable scanner and doing it inhouse.

Should I be looking at two scanners, one optimized for 35mm and one for larger?  Assuming that scanners capable of the larger formats are going to be much more expensive, what is the advisability of buying used?

My use of the scanned images would be:

1. Web gallery
2. Prints up to 16x20

To get the kind of quality you need for such large prints you need a really good scanner. I think it sort of depends what you use each format for and how much you use them. 35mm film scanner = a good piece of money. A good medium format/35mm scanner = quite a bit more money. Large format scanner = lots of money. You might explore Michael Reichmann's site at luminouslandscape.com in which he gives examples of why he gave up scanning with his $10,000 Imacon scanner and started shooting with a Canon 1Ds.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA