Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:40:06 -0400
I don't think the viewfinder display is a moot point at all. It is one
of my major concerns. If I'm going to operate a camera, and
ever hope to really know where critical focus is, I want to
see it in the display. Autofocus is great, but never 100%
since only I know what I need to control. It is my major frustration
with the C-5050. There are just some situations where manual
focus is essential (try macro for instance, or any shot with
shallow DOF) For that you need good viewfinder optics and
magnification.

The Nikon F100 viewfinder is small compared to an OM-4t. You
need an 80mm lens to get viewfinder display size the same as an
open eye. With an OM and a 50mm lens you get the same size
as open eye. Which means the Nikon display is smaller, but being
smaller allows for greater eye relief, a Nikon feature. I have not
seen any other camera with the display size as large as an
OM-1,2,3, or 4. So I would be impressed if any digital camera had
an optical viewfinder that matched an OM. Such optics are
becoming rare in cameras. Some magazines even think an EVF
is a feature. (that's electronic viewfinder)

Wayne