[OM] wild variations on epay

Subject: [OM] wild variations on epay
From: "Gary M. Teller" <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:59:02 -0400

Wayne Culberson wrote

>Has anyone else noticed that the auction site bids are really crazy lately?

<snip>

>I've picked up several things lately from the site at what I consider
>bargains, if not fangs, while similar items go at ridiculously high prices.
>Lately it seems crazier than ever.
>I'm wondering if the switch to digital is perhaps what is really starting to
>lower the prices on some items. Anyone else notice this?

Wayne,

It's not just happening in photo gear. My wife and I recently decided to sell off quite a few of her very collectible Hallmark ornaments. Tracking prices, we found similar scenarios. One day a very desirable ornament sells for XXX dollars after getting quite a few bids. The next day an auction with the same item in comparable (taken with a grain of salt) condition doesn't sell or fetches far less money with perhaps far less bids. Hallmark collectors are just as "fanatical" as others when it comes to buying truly MIB/LNIB ornaments with box, description label and price sticker in nearly the same condition.

I put up a OM mount Vivitar 28mm (not series 1) for $15 for 1 week and didn't get even an opening bid. I immediately re listed it for a week and got 8 bids and sold it for $41. Go figure.

The bottom line, as I, a long time garage sale fan, see it is that on any given day you may or may not have a match up between seller and willing buyer. I think anyone who has spent enough time frequenting garage sales, flea markets and the like will understand much of the variations on eBay. To me it's simply a worldwide garage sale. On the other hand, if one "works the numbers" (i.e., attends enough garage sales or visits enough auction pages) chances are the sought after item will eventually be found at an agreeable price.

Of course, the shift to digital is affecting prices. Hell, even I use that line when buying pre-owned SLR's at rock bottom prices. But, there's still demand out there for film based equipment so you have to shop and/or sell a bit more carefully.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary