Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:16:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc:
Ok,
Forgive me the ignorance, but as a person who never knew those exist (I think
the consensus is that this is not something that most people are going to miss
anyway?), what kinda gas are we talking about?  In American English, gas has
many meanings, from the fluid that you put in your car, to the smelly substance
that comes out of your butt and peels the paint off the walls after you eat
McDonalds or KK?s (if you happen to ingest both, seek medical help immediately).
The only thing that comes close to this was the two towers I saw while in
Bulgarian Army in the mid eighties.  I had to be transferred to another base
for a couple of months and they had two of those filled with kerosene.  At the
time they had to be emptied, cleaned and repainted.  Both of them were at least
30m (100ft) tall and had the same proportions.  One of them was Russian design,
built in the mid sixties and the other was German, built in the late thirties.
The Russian was leaking and needed repair badly and the German was fine.  The
only thing that was wrong with it was that some of the paint the commies
repainted it with after they took over was peeling and you could see the
swastika underneath.  They asked us to go and clean it inside, but we told them
to buzz off, but at the end a couple of guys yielded under the pressure and did
it.  What was most amazing about the towers was that they were build inside a
solid rock overhanging above a beautiful city (Lovetch, yeah?if anyone gives
what comes after the gas).  It seemed to be a major engineering task to carve
out the rock.  The only thing you see from the outside were the two doors at
the bottom of it.  When you enter, there is a tunnel about 40-50m long and
then, there were the towers.  Each tower was separated from the other.
 Oooops, I just told you a secret, I swore to the commies I am not going to
tell you about even if you torture me.
So what kind of gas is it?
Boris
P.S.  John, I always enjoyed your photography.