Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:26:31 +0200
Used for domestic piped gas supplies for stoves, heating, etc. The British
ones were built for coal gas, produced from coal. I do not know that the
were ever used for natural gas supplies.

Roger Key

Boris wrote:

Ok,

Forgive me the ignorance, but as a person who never knew those exist (I
think the consensus is that this is not something that most people are
going to miss anyway?), what kinda gas are we talking about?  In American
English, gas has many meanings, from the fluid that you put in your car, to
the smelly substance that comes out of your butt and peels the paint off
the walls after you eat McDonalds or KK's (if you happen to ingest both,
seek medical help immediately).

The only thing that comes close to this was the two towers I saw while in
Bulgarian Army in the mid eighties.  I had to be transferred to another
base for a couple of months and they had two of those filled with kerosene.
At the time they had to be emptied, cleaned and repainted.  Both of them
were at least 30m (100ft) tall and had the same proportions.  One of them
was Russian design, built in the mid sixties and the other was German,
built in the late thirties.  The Russian was leaking and needed repair
badly and the German was fine.  The only thing that was wrong with it was
that some of the paint the commies repainted it with after they took over
was peeling and you could see the swastika underneath.  They asked us to go
and clean it inside, but we told them to buzz off, but at the end a couple
of guys yielded under the pressure and did it.  What was most amazing about
the towers was that they were build inside a solid rock overhanging above a
beautiful city (Lovetch, yeah?if anyone gives what comes after the gas).
It seemed to be a major engineering task to carve out the rock.  The only
thing you see from the outside were the two doors at the bottom of it.
When you enter, there is a tunnel about 40-50m long and then, there were
the towers.  Each tower was separated from the other.

 Oooops, I just told you a secret, I swore to the commies I am not going to
tell you about even if you torture me.

So what kind of gas is it?

Boris

P.S.  John, I always enjoyed your photography.