Re: [OM] 65-200mm cloudy rear lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 65-200mm cloudy rear lens
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:54:48 +0100
This is a known and very common defect. The lens can't be effectively
cleaned and no replacements are available. There seems to be no correlation
between condition or age and haziness.
Hopefully someone knows a really good storage method to avoid the problem,
which seems to be an oil haze, rather than a fungus. Problem being that the
oil etches the element the same as a fungus would. Since it's oil, the usual
humidity control won't help.
Personally, I've never seen one without haze to some degree. Bear in mind,
however that it won't harm your images too much if the hazing is minor. Just
make sure you don't pay "perfect" prices for anything but a perfectly clear
lens. And never pay for one prior to inspection.
Every time this subject comes up, and a reply like this is posted, there is
a flood of "mine's ok" type replies. I regard this as an indication that you
shouldn't give up all hope, but for how long are you prepared to look?
For the record, I have a couple of these. They both have some moderate haze.
I used that as a negotiating point. They take nice pictures. I don't do
contre - jour with them.

Julian