Re: [OM] [OT somewhat] B+W 77mm circular polarizers cheap in Paris

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT somewhat] B+W 77mm circular polarizers cheap in Paris
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:39:43 +1000
Ouch - paid nearly $100 for a slim one recently.
Incidently, there was some discussion a while back on whether you could use a large pola to cover the rangefinder as well on an RF camera and someone suggested that you'd need a six-inch filter to do this on a Leica (inches - whassat?). The conclusion was that it was impossible due to size and filter cost. I've now been using my Voigt 12mm with the 77mm filter adapter and it does do this. There's a cut-out in the back of the filter holder that is ostensibly provided to avoid occluding too much of the finder as with some of the hoods. However, it does give you a narrow band of view though the filter as well - enough to check the effect. Not really enough to see the full effect with a pola but enough to check the amount of polarising. It should be possible to do this even better with, say, an 82mm filter so long as the last ring was wide enough to mill out a good, wide section. I may do this for use with a Voigt 21mm - I have a 39-49mm step-up ring and if I can go from 49-77, there'll be enough meat in the second ring to cut a good viewing slot. I'd go larger but I already have the 77mm filter. It's still heaps cheaper than the Leica alternative and probably slightly less awkward in use.
AndrewF

The fnac store at Forum des Halles is clearing out excess inventory while
they rebuild.
They have 77mm B+W circular polarizers at 30euro (the barcode scanner
displayed 189euro at the check-out!) - woohoo a fang!
Big Ron will be happy!
best regds
Jez