Re: [OM] OM-40 question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-40 question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:42:45 -0400
Bill said:
In US it is called OM-PC.
And they have a reputation for getting sticky magnets which let the mirror get stuck in the up position. The repairs then cost more than the camera is worth, if my memory serves me.
That's true but it's still a very nice camera. Unless you pick it up from a list member who had it CLA'd within recent memory I think you should plan on having any camera this old (maybe 18 years) CLA'd to ensure reliable operation.

You ought to be able to pick up a cosmetically nice one for $50-70 and then add $95-100 for the CLA. You just have to be sure that all the electronics and displays are working properly since there are no more circuits available.

Some nice properties of this camera: Does TTL flash from a fixed hot shoe, has the equivalent of a 2-13 screen, has a very secure feeling rubber grip and ESP mode metering is very forgiving of backlit situations when in auto mode.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA