Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:49:03 -0700
Just for the record, these are not filters in the sense that you mean. Nobody is trying to take away your spectrum. I have no idea how well or poorly digital sensors respond to IR or UV, but, whatever the effects of these filters on the transmission of IR or UV, they are secondary to the primary purpose of limiting light that oscillates between light and dark at a high enough frequency to cause aliasing effects. The aliasing is not something that can, at least so far, be eliminated in software. The particular characteristics needed vary with sensor type and spatial resolution. Thus the term 'low-pass' refers not to the frequency/wavelength of the light, but the level of detail it renders in spatial oscillations of light intensity.

If, for example, the E-2 has a 10mp sensor, it would need a different low-pass filter than the E-1. At some level of sensor resolution that starts to exceed the resolution of the lenses, no filter would be needed.

Moose

Boris Grigorov wrote:

<snip> Something struck me when someone mentioned somepin about the low pass filter.  The
camera has processing and I want complete control over that processing power.  Why do I need this
low pass filter only?  To me photography is painting with light.  I want to experiment and do not
want no steenkin infrared film&see where I am going?.  Let me control the filtering, I would
like to experiment (not only in the infrared spectrum&).  I really doubt that this feature
would be that expensive, or as expensive as at least dozen more that I could think of &