Re: [OM] Fill flash with T32 and OM2n (was Faster sync speeds buys me wh

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill flash with T32 and OM2n (was Faster sync speeds buys me what?)
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:18:07 +0100
I've been meaning to reply to this for a bit, having downloaded and gone through the relevant OM manuals. I understand the manual process for setting up the flash intensity, which is identical to that in low light situations, which should get the main subject, eg a portrait, exposed correctly. But then what is the correct way to factor in the bright backlight? For example using flash on the beach to lose dark shadows; it won't fire on auto as there is too much light, so switch to manual. This means setting the shutter speed at 1/60th or 1/30th and aperture according to the flash intensity and distance to subject. The resulting exposure is likely to be way off for the bright background. What's the way around this?

Thanks once again,

James