Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:10:48 -0400
Well, I don't know whether to curse you or praise you. Can't you tell I
need some good reason to look the other way? So I don't need that extra
mint in box 3t, 50-250, 18mm, or spare 4t. $$$ or 350, $$$, or 50/1.2
$$$. I'm not lusting, really, I'm not. You say it's snappy and
bright... I'm not, really..

Will an extension tube work with a teleconverter? One of my latest
combinations is the 180/2 + 50mm extension + 1.4x or 2x for macro work
to get working distance. Can you combine extension with teleconverter
on the E1 system?

Not that this is a great example, but here are two shots for
comparison. This one with 180 + extension + 1.4x. The lens was about
18-24 inches from the wintergreen flowers.

http://www.zuik.net/om/rp3_8_22_03_vs14a_rd.jpg

This same shot was taken with the C-5050 was about 2 inches from the
flowers.

http://www.zuik.net/om/P8201848rd.jpg

In the C-5050 shot, you can tell there is a lot more background area
that is covered. I could not get the angle and keep the sky out. The
180 combination has less background, which is just inches away from the
flowers, while the C-5050 shot the background is several feet away. The
leaves to the lower left in the C-5050 would be much more out of focus
with the 180 combo. The 5050 shot is coming from a 90 degree different
angle because I was trying to minimize the background. I could not
shoot straight on like I did with the 180, it would be too cluttered.
The close distance of the 5050 also gives a different perspective. Wide
angle macro versus telephoto macro.

Note I also tend to set the 5050 to small f-stop with macro because of
the difficulty in getting what I want in focus. Here I used f8
(smallest f stop on the 5050).

Wayne