Re: [OM] [ot] UK listies.. what kind of power plug?

Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] UK listies.. what kind of power plug?
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:22:16 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Siddiq" <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 12 September, 2003 01:05 PM

> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:54:27 +0930, David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> > Acer,
> >
> > now that I've got the wasted bandwidth out of the way with my last
> > post...
> >
> > here's a picture of the internally fused 13Amp UK mains plug that I know
> > & love (& have thrown in the bin after taking it out of the cisc0 box-
> > it's a waste, but not a lot of use here in australia)
> >
> > http://data.pg2k.hd.org/_c/mechanoids/_more2000/_more03/UK-electric-
> > mains-plug-3-prong-fuse-carrier-in-base-1-AJHD.jpg.html
> >

> > This is possibly what you want for your trip to the Old Dart?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog0.000000name=CTLG&category0.000000name=CTLG0.0000000090.0000000010.0000000040.000000000&product0.000000id=980
 00446

> Oh my, that's quite a large one! That's used for all appliances then? Even
> ones that use piddly amounts of current such as VCRs? I can understand it
> on something like an electric kettle (another british curiosity!) :)
> Thanks.

One of the primary purposes of those plugs is for the prongs to lever open
the slots into which they fit so as to make contact with the electric
current. North American plugs and power sockets are primitive and unsafe in
comparison. Yes, these plugs are used for all electrical appliances although
smaller ones can be used for appliances drawing fewer amps.

jh