Re: [OM] My name is bill and I'm an enabler

Subject: Re: [OM] My name is bill and I'm an enabler
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:20:05 -0700
Mine is just like that one, it says SP on the box, but not on the lens. In addition, the Owners Manual for "Tamron SP Tele-Converter" covers 3 models, "SP 1.4X(Model 140F) SP@X(Model 200F) SP2X(Model 01F)" Inside it has pictures and cutaway lens element diagrams all identified as SP identically to the cover listing. In these pics, the 01F is engraved 'SP' (just like the one I have) and the other 2 do not have an 'SP' designation on the lens itself.

My conclusion is that all 140Fs are SP, for whatever that is worth, but that those who have them without the box and instruction manual won't know it.

The manual also has a table showing which lenses go with which converters. The list does not specify whether it is simply an indication of physical compatability or that plus optical recommendation. It also has a table of specs of adaptall lenses, which does not include some later ones like the superb 35-105/2.8 and 80-200/2.8, so they are naturally not on the compatability table. The lens table does show the 17/3.5 and 35-80/2.8-3.8, does not show the 17mm as compatabile with any converter (no surprise) and the 35-80mm as compatabile only with the 2x model 01F.

The 1.4x will mount on the 80-200/2.8. It will not fit on the 35-105/2.8 at any fl below about 50mm. I wouldn't want to use it on that lens at all to avoid zooming out and banging innards together.

I can scan the compatability table and send it to anyone who wants it.

Moose

Jeff Keller wrote:

Take a look at the box in the photo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2950570489&category=7
07&rd=1

The actual teleconverter looks the same as what I have which is both
labeled 140F and definitely is an adaptall version. The teleconverter
doesn't seem to have the SP label on it, which I saw in one yaBe
auction. The teleconverter otherwise looked the same.