[OM] Re: Colour prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour prints
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:29:40 -0700
(Contains ZERO Olympus content. Press delete now if not interested.)

>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> >If I provided
>> >my own adjusted scan it would cost me about $33NZ (say USD15) for a print
>> >2x3
>> >feet...
>>
>> Good luck! At that price, you're almost certainly getting dye-based inks and
>> cheap media...
>
> I asked the shop (e-mail) what they used and here is their reply from the guy
>who runs the printers:-
>
>"We use ultra chrome pigmented inks.
>We are currently stocking 2 Epson papers, a premium photo luster which
>has a durability of 71 years (behind a class frame) and 48 years unframed.

Amazing. That's way less than the cost of my materials.

I'll still wish you good luck. My experience is "there ain't so such thing as
free lunch." But at that price, try a few and see if they meet your
expectations.

Another problem is a lot of shops are popping up and scrambling for business
without really understanding what their costs are. If these folks have been
around a long time, I think you've found an exceptional deal.

(If not, let's hope you don't require any post-sales support, since I don't see
how they can stay in business with those prices!)

Digital Graphics magazine just did a survey of large print pricing. Fine art
print range was $10 to $30 (all prices in USD) per square foot, with the
majority being $15-$22. Your cost of $2.50 per square foot is FAR below what
anyone was willing to report to Digital Graphics! (I charge $17.28 per square
foot for 120 year pigmented prints on cotton.)

Also, unless those longevity numbers come from somewhere other than Epson, take
them with a grain of salt. They are infamous for inflated numbers over
Wilhelm's.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.