Re: [OM] Re: colour prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: colour prints
From: Daniel Tan <daniel.tan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:35:25 +1000
Hi.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jan Steinman
Sent: Sunday, 7 September 2003 6:03 AM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [OM] Re: colour prints

>That's a server, intended "for pedestal and rack configurations." Also,
it >cannot support 12 GB today -- it only has six DIMM slots! They're
simply >saying that someday, when 2GB DIMMs are out, it can take up to
12 GB. Apple >loses the "vaporware" contest here -- since they have 16
DIMM slots, they >should claim they "support" 32 GB, but they only
modestly claim what can be >fit in those 16 slots today -- 8 GB. The
Intel board is also "page swapped" >RAM, which requires special OS
support -- it is not directly addressable by >the Xeon processor.

>As a true 64 bit processor, Apple could claim support for over a
terabyte >of RAM if it wanted to be as dishonest as Intel.

Uh.
FYI Jan:
2GB dims ->
http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/09/a200902samsung_dimm.html

The word size (bit size) of the processor has close to nothing to do
with the RAM the processor can handle. Rather, it indicates the number
of bits it can handle per cycle (2^64 bits in this case). The amount of
RAM the processor can handle has more to do with the motherboard - to do
with the extended addressing modes the motherboard indicates to the
microprocessor that it can use. I believe the motherboard's chipset
handles this more (Though the newer processors can access memory
directly, instead of through the motherboard's memory bus??). Of course,
I could be completely wrong. I haven't done microprocessor design for a
while.

>Of course there are lots of computers that can address more than 2GB,
but >I'm fairly certain the Apple G5 is the only desktop personal
computer >capable of doing so.

Most newer motherboards (AMD: around VIA KT333 or KT400 chipsets up,
nForce 1 chipsets up, INTEL: unsure, at least around since when the
p4"b" processors were released.) support at least 3gb of ram nowadays.
My current nForce 2 based computer allows me to put in 3gb of ram.

>>This cheaper one support 4GB.

>With only 4 DIMM slots! Maybe someday, but not today! It was not clear
from >their "Tested Memory" link where you would obtain such devices,
whereas the >G5 takes standard PC3200 DDR RAM to get to 8MB, available
everywhere for >about $130/GB.

1GB DDR ram is fairly easy to obtain nowadays. It's becoming more common
in shops. Pricing is approximately slightly cheaper than 2x512mb sticks.
Again, I could be wrong.

Daniel Tan