Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Praising apples and olympus was Re: an Albert interven

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Praising apples and olympus was Re: an Albert intervention
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:54:38 -0600
I looked at the web site referenced and found this statement:

"Now we recognize that some people have a legitimate need for these gas
hogs. However, most people don't need the automotive version of the Exxon
Valdez to run their daily errands. That leaves 950f the SUV's on the road
which never get dirty or use their 4 wheel drive as fair game."

My question is who gets to decide which of these vehicles are "legitimate"?
Perhaps if we leave a little mud on our rigs they won't bother them. In the
winter here 4 wheel drive is a needed feature. Those without it are simple
"stuck" too much of the time. Getting stuck at -40 F can be fatal very
quickly. Most of us can't afford to abandon the FWDs except for the snowy
days. I look at the cars off the road after a storm and most of them are
small front wheel drive cars. Many of them probably believed that their
tires were all weather "as advertised" but for whatever reason they are in
the ditch. The quoted mileage of 8 miles per gallon for SUVs is also
complete bullshit. I have a full size FWD van and it gets about 16. These
people are very selective about their targets. High performance sports cars
are OK. Huge luxury cars are OK. Light trucks are OK, but cover the bed and
call it an SUV and it's something bad and evil.

I'm sick of so called "environmental activists" that do shit like burn SUV
dealerships, spike trees, and do other destructive acts to carry out their
personal tunnel-visions of how things should be. They spoil the real work
done by people that have worked very hard to improve the environment we live
in.

Sorry about the rant but I'm sick of self-serving people telling me what is
OK for me to drive........ I know my needs and don't need their help.

/jim