Re: [OM] Albert's quest

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:41:28 -0500
At 04:02 PM 9/1/03, B.D. wrote:
1. Balancing color - getting the 'right color,' is far, far easier with
digital than with film;

Not if the lab the film goes to consistently gets it right across all rolls from the same wedding, even with a mix of lighting conditions and a mix of Fuji Press 1600 with Kodak Portra 160NC.

2. Anyone who suggests that shooting a wedding using digital requires
more bodies and more money is smoking some really cheap crack - Among
other things, who uses 128 mb cards anymore - try 512 or 1 gig. Second,
who works that kind of situation with a single card, requiring constant
downloads? How about 5 cards - 10 cards; after all, unlike film, you
only buy them once.

More bodies? No. That doesn't alleviate the need for backup equipment though. More money? Yes. More of my time? Yes. I prefer film because it's easier to handle, requires less of my time, and the overall business cost is lower in all three categories: recurring consumables/services, capital depreciation, and the value of my time. See my other posting.

The "cheap crack" remark was uncalled for and inflamatory. Beyond that I won't say any more about it.

-- John