Re: [OM] Albert's quest

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 04:27:33 -0500
At 12:06 AM 9/1/03, Albert wrote:
Rich, I find that when I need to focus fast, the SLR's still do it faster.. I was out focusing some of the auto-focus guys around me for a few shots; I snap it into focus, I don't have to hunt, I know what focused looks like, much more so than the AF systems do..

Cherish this ability while you're still young! It does get a little more difficult with age, even if everything is corrected to 20/20 in the viewfinder.

BUT..  The RF's focus a lot more accurately IMHO..

Yes they can provided there's sufficient RF base (distance between viewfinder and RF window). Shouldn't be a problem with a properly designed MF rig. My Contax IIIa has one of the longer RF bases in 35mm format and is exceedingly accurate. OTOH some of the 60's-70's vintage 35mm compacts have a short RF base and it's not as quick/easy.

But I have to admit, the quietness of the RF's are much better for street photography.. The M6's I hear (or don't hear) don't intrude on the subject as much as my OM.

Almost added this before; yes the RF's in general are quieter. An SLR can be deafening during wedding ceremonies in cavernous stone cathedrals with slate floors and no cushions on the hardwood pews. I can only imagine what a motorized Wunderziegel must sound like, especially when it hits end of roll and rewinds!

Other pros include the viewfinder not blacking out making follow-through with panning easier. There is one aspect of the SLR viewfinder blackout that is handy . . . at least in knowing afterward . . . if the "decisive moment was visible in the viewfinder, it wasn't photographed . . . not that it does anything about turning back time to do it again, but at least there's no wondering about it until the film is developed and there may be an opportunity to execute a "plan B" to compensate for it.

-- John