Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Cat telelens
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:24:24 -0700
Zuiko 600 is nearly 100oz, over 6lb!. It does have the rack and pinion focus. A better Zuiko solution might be a 400 f6.3 + the 1.4xA converter which yields a 550 f8.8 lens PLUS you can use it as a 400 of course, total weight is 52.2 oz, much closer to the Vivitar Cat. For comparison purposes, the Zuiko 500 f8 cat is only 20.8 oz.

Jim Couch

Jim Brokaw wrote:

The lens weight is 48.6oz, how that compares to the Zuiko I don't know...
probably that info is in the eSif and someone will offer it. Focus is done
by turning a wide ring, the same direction of turn as the (smaller focal
length) Zuikos. "Lock-to-lock" focus takes just under 180 degrees of turn...
note that this lens, like many telephotos focuses 'beyond' infinity for some
design reason. Though I have not used the Zuiko 600/5.6, I believe it uses a
rack-and-pinion focus mechanism which someone posted here is not too
convenient in use. This is not a lens you will be able to 'follow-focus' on
a moving race car, though.