[OM] [OT][VOLTS]Foreign travel power conversion

Subject: [OM] [OT][VOLTS]Foreign travel power conversion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:39:18 -0400
Mickey asked:
I'm going to NZ with my US equipment. I have a voltage converter, but it
says for use with heating element equipment like hair dryers and curling
irons. Is it safe to plug battery chargers into it? Will it work?
My guess is that your converter is converting voltage only and not doing anything about frequency. I assume NZ is 220v and 50hz. The US hair dryer doesn't want to see much above 110v but probably doesn't give a hoot about the frequency.

I don't think the battery charger would care either but I'm not qualified to answer either one. If I'm wrong I'll be corrected soon.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA