Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta 5400, was CH Ling's Portrait shots
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:42:55 -0400
Cc: <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Jeff,
I read on the scantips.com site that the Minolta "Utility" for the Scan Dual II
will throw away any instructions you design on the
"Image Correction" tab if you have selected '16-bit linear' in the Preferences
window.  To them, "linear" means 'without the user's
corrections.  Doh!  Minolta's incredibly bad owner's manual doesn't say this.
By the way, the manual tells you to load the holder
emulsion up.  Don't.  It's upside down like that.  It will give you
"inside-out" images and the scanner will be looking at the
emulsion through the base side which means you'll lose more image.  Didn't
anyone proof-read it??!!

In time trials, I've found that the Utility takes no more time to make and
write 16 bit images to the hard drive than 8-bit ones.
That's helpful.

In the past I spent a bunch of time with the histogram in Minolta's "Utilty"
because I do a lot of available light work.

Now I get as close as I can with one image in Utility, then scan whole strips
of 6 as 16-bit scans.  I know I can throw big
adjustments at 16-bit images in Photoshop without getting artifacts.  I use
<Ctrl> <L> to reach the "Levels" window in the blink of
an eye.

I convert to 8'bit (Image>Mode>8bit) before saving as a .jpg or printing.

<shrug>  It works for me and took weeks to figure out.  Hey, I'm not the
sharpest tool in the shed.  :)

Lama

From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>