Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........

Subject: Re: [OM] negative films, minilabs, etc.........
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:40:58 -0700
Bill,

The phrase used in digital manipulation is 'sharpening' and it really does not have anything to do with what we normally think of a 'sharpness' (resolution and acutance) it is a form of digital manipulation that is intended to make the final print look less fuzzy or "sharper" and to compensate for some of the loss in the conversion from analogue to digital. Unfortunately when it is overdone (like any manipulation) it becomes quite ugly. But by cranking it a bit you are more likely to come up with a 'useable' picture from a poorly exposed P&S shot. The concept is sometimes refereed to as 'acceptable result' - basically the average P&S shooter does not care about how well the picture is printed, but whether they can recognize Auntie Ethel in the group photo.

Jim

whunter wrote:

I believe the reporting of Pearce, but......... Something about this 'concept' is really incongruent with the simple reality of established information transfer science. First, I am somewhat at a loss as to the meaning of adjusting 'sharpness' in a digital printer and, if so as Dan asks, WHY???? The (I wanna, but NO, won't dare use a generic K-I-S-S again so plez no hate mail) ultimate of photography can be defined by 'simple' MTF. If that includes selective artistic addition or filtering of noise in the form of reduced focus for an individual print, fine. What I don't understand is why the SOP includes 'reduction of sharpness'. Is this a fuzzy vernacular issue analogous to confusing explicit and fuzzy use of the word 'contrast'? As for service to 'Pros', all that I know want precision consistent with the max film MTF capability. Metering, softening, filtering, etc., is then rendered unto Caesar behind the viewfinder or mousing in Photoshop.

Synonymous with this topic is the role of film, either print or slide. Many participants on the List clearly understand that there is no fundamental difference in the role of information collection between film and a CCD. To date, the resolution of film is vastly superior to the best of CCD technology, but only if state-of-the-art digitizing is utilized to provide equivalent digital data. Whether printed in analog format directly to prints or via digital means, the science of information transfer is a common denominator. Both analog and digital methods allow artistic 'manipulation' of 'sharpness', color balance, etc to a more or less equivalent extent. I submit that generic processing of film and prints should be simple, the maintenance of the MTF at the time of the click or the click of a mouse to save a rendered file to CDROM.

What have I missed?
Bill