Re: [OM] USD1100 for a Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] USD1100 for a Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:02:39 -0700
John H. sells pre-cut kits at <zuiko.com> and has installation instructions on the site. Some people sell adhesive backed foam and I understand it can be a pain to get into the thin slots evenly, although I've never tried it because of warnings I read.

As to an overhaul/CLA, my reading of the posts on the subject is that it is better to find someone who specializes or at least has extensive experience with Olys than just someone local who repairs anything. I believe it was Clint who recently said that he has had many cameras in where a general shop told the owner it needed circuit replacement or other major surgery and that was not the case. Of course, Clint & John are far away for you. There are some AU recommendations on Brian's processor/service page <http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/0.000000E+00bj/photography/zuikoholics/processors.htm#OZ> and other Aussies may have further suggestions.

If you want a good deal on a flash, forget the appearance and buy one that's scuffed up, has an old owner's info scratched on it, etc. but works properly. In the case of flashes, appearance of the case has virtually no correlation to performance.

I've taken some through the window/windscreen shots The thing I would add to what others have said is that the tinting on the top of the glass ws a real problem for me. It seems my eyes hardly notice it, but it has a pronounced effect on the resulting image. If you want a great shot, pull over, stop, turn the engine off and stabilize the camera/lens on part of the car, but you knew that, didn't you?

Moose

Daniel Tan wrote:

Question: My current OM2n's lightseals seem to have disintegrated. How
much is it normally to get them replaced/how much is it to get a full
service done? The shop where I am has a $30 quotation fee (goes towards
fee though) which I'm not too keen on paying until I have a general idea
on how much it'll cost me (I'm a student, ie POOR :-P).

Another question: How much do T20 flashes (in VGC to mint-) go for?

Last question: Has anyone attempted taking a photo, out through the
windscreen of a moving car? How were your results? I had a couple of
shots left on one roll and attempted this (which was probably not the
best of ideas, as I was driving!). It was a shot of a sunset (sun
already down, of the remaining glow) at 1/1000th shutter spd, f/2.8 on a
50/1.8 zuiko. I have no idea how this will work out. Comments?