[OM] Cheap macro twin flash

Subject: [OM] Cheap macro twin flash
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:10:39 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all:
I am reading through my Olympus VisionAge collection again, and ran
across something interesting last night.  In an article on photographing
butterflies in VA #9, the author mentions using "a macro twin flash
homemade from two old QuickAuto 310's".  This got me to thinking...
Imagine taking the following ingredients and using them along with some
kind of home-made mount for the front of a lens:

2 T-20s or T-32s                                        ~$80.00 (T-20s)
2 TTL Auto Connector T-20s                              ~$30.00
2 TTL Auto Cord Type T 0.6M (the spiral one)            ~$20.00
1 TTL Auto Cord Type T 0.3M (the shortest one)          ~$10.00
1 TTL Multiconnector Type T                             ~$20.00
1 TTL Auto Connector Type 4 (if you have an OM-2N)      ~$20.00
2 Giotto Mini Ball Heads MH1004                         ~$20.00

Without the handmade bracket and the TTL Auto Connector, the total price
is $180.00.  This is less than the cost of the Twin-Head flash unit
(without the T Power Controller) alone.  Like some of you, though, I
have most of this stuff lying around. For those that don't, I bet you
could find it at lower prices than I have listed above if you looked
hard enough.  The hardest part would be making the bracket to hold it
all.  However, perhaps a commercial bracket already exists for a
reasonable price?

Except for the lack of modeling lights (which one could come up with if
one were clever), I can't see any drawbacks to this idea.

What do others think?  Has anyone else done this?

As always, please carbon copy me on any replies to the list, as I only
receive the digest.

Cheers,
--Lee