Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:43:23 -0500
At 11:19 PM 8/11/03, Lee asked:
In your message dated: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:41:12 CDT you write:
>Lee,

Thanks for the list, John.  What about the 30DX?  And weren't there
other "DX" models (other than the 12R ring flash and 36DX, which I've
already mentioned)?

Oops. I omitted the current ring flashes and a few more shoe mounts that can use the OT-1D:
  422D (shoe mount)
  30DX (shoe mount)
  333D  (shoe mount)
  DX-8R (ring flash)
  DX-12R (ring flash)

By the way, the proper way to remote a Sunpak or other dedicated flash
for me is to us a TTL Connector T-20 and an Oly TTL cord.  This has the
side benefit of giving you a tripod mount on which to mount the flash
:).

Found notes that the 444D also accepts the EXT-10 remote cord. I use the EXT-10 to remote a 120J TTL on a flash bracket. It's simpler for me and allows using the bracket for non-OM cameras also (M645 with prism finder).

The foot end of the EXT-10 cord that connects to the flash has a metal 1/4-20 threaded hole in the bottom in addition to the square flange and thumbnut for a hot/cold shoe. The OT-1D lifts/disconnects the additional two contacts when used in a non-OM hot shoe . . . unlike the Olympus TTL Shoe Cord which can jam itself in a non-OM hot shoe in addition to shorting out the "ready" and "quench" contacts. Had to disassemble the hot shoe on top of a Mamiya M645 PdS prism to extract an Olympus TTL Shoe Cord I slid into it! Used a TTL-Connector T20 until I needed the flexibility to interchange the M645 and the OM's on the bracket. For dedicated use with OM's, the TTL-Connector T20 works very well.

Additional notes:
1. The discontinued 522 is also a handle mount and the R.S. OT-5 OM module for it has the cord permanently attached. The module/cord only works with a 522.
2.  The 555 and 622 handles must be used with an EXT-11 for TTL control.
3. The OT-1D may or may not flicker the viewfinder ready LED when the camera/flash senses a "proper exposure." Haven't been able to sort out all the conditions under which it does/doesn't yet. 4. Larger/heavier flashes tend to wobble the shoe on the TTL-Connector T20 slightly; IMO it was designed for a T20 and not much more. Made the TTL-Connector T20 more rigid and stronger for supporting larger/heavier flash units (e.g. OM T-32, Metz 40 MZ-2 and Sunpak 120J TTL) by running thin beads of epoxy down the left and right sides of the hot shoe, between the shoe and the plastic body to bond them together.

Thanks,
-- John