Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak flashes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:35:47 -0500
At 05:11 PM 8/12/03, you wrote:
Yep, I've got a 30-DX with the OT-1D module. Dead ringer for the 433D which
does not use a module. Anyone know how to remove the OT-1D module. Seems to
have finger grips on the front, but didn't want to get too agressive with
it.
-Mickey

Mickey,
The modules have a vertical metal center post with a notch cut in it. The notch is used to mechanically hold it on the flash (or remote cord). I don't have a 30DX, but do have a 120J TTL. Is the battery cover on the side toward the bottom? If so, open it and look at the bottom of the battery box. If there's a metal tab there, try pulling on it gently. On the 120J it doesn't slide far, perhaps 1/4 inch or so, and the fork on the other end of the tab is what holds the module onto the bottom of the 120J. When the battery door is closed, it keeps the tab from sliding thus preventing the module from falling off . . . or perhaps a better description is flash from falling off the module (it's all "frame of reference").

On the remote cords, there is a screw on the side of the cap that goes over the top of the module. Unscrew the screw until it stops, push it in (there's a spring on the screw shaft) and the module comes off.

There is also a circuit board edge sticking up with traces that engages when you put it on the bottom of the flash. Unlike the Metz modules it doesn't slide on/off sideways. It pushes on and pulls off vertically . . . but only after whatever is engaging the notch on the metal post is pulled out of the way.

Again, I don't know exactly how it attaches to the 30-DX, but imagine it must be something similar.

-- John