Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2

Subject: Re: Yellowing of radioactive lens elements....Re: [OM] 55/1.2
From: Kennedy McEwen <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:10:32 +0100
In article , whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx> writes
Swore I was going to quit this discourse of misappropriated facts, but
you 'Got me!!!'......
On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 07:54  PM, John Hudson wrote:

To enjoy and be informed of the answer, suggest you visit the library
for a book about the radium dial painters of the early 1900s.  Because
of this tragedy, the use of radium in virtually all consumer products
from watches to 'snake oil' potions was prohibited by the 1950s.

Insofar as no answer was given I suspect that the radioactive toxicity
of
camera lenses is no more perilous than a luminous watch
Exactly +++,  since radium decay does generate some gamma radiation and
your exposure is a lot closer and constant compared to a lens

That is not, and never has been the issue Bill - and you damned well know it!

I doubt that the wrist watch would be much closer to your vital organs following breathing in or otherwise ingesting any of the dust produced by this exercise:
http://www.hermes.net.au/bayling/repair.html
That procedure, or more generally that type of irresponsible action, is the hazard this thread has concerned. I would not, nor I hope would you, suggest a similar exercise with a luminous dial either!

I have made NO suggestion at any time that any significant hazard exists with the lens in its normal operating state! However, once pulverised to dust, there exists a serious hazard which your obfuscation with myth and mystery does nothing to reduce - indeed your action merely increases the likelihood that others will follow suit, precisely what my warning was intended to avoid!

Despite your claims to the contrary, first that the discoloration is in the coating and then that it is a chemical decomposition in the lens bulk, the US based National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements specifically recognises the presence of radioactive materials is photographic lenses and specifically warns against the use of such lenses as an eyepiece - how much worse if it is pulverised and some material inadvertently ingested?

You may continue to bury your head in the sand over the risks Bill, but your attempts to conceal the risks from others is as irresponsible as the idiot who published the suggestion of smashing radioactive lenses in the first place.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers