Re: [OM] Zuiko 90/2 vs. Tamron 90/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 90/2 vs. Tamron 90/2.8
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 07:50:47 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>

> (2) The Zuiko is slightly warmer than the Tamron.  No surprise.
> And when I say "slightly," that's exactly what I mean.  I guess
> it's that Zuiko glow we all love.  Keeps down the need for warming
> filters.

I bet it is not only warmer, use it more you will know, color reproduction
of Zuiko 90 is great and there is something that you will only see if when
you use it more, just a few test shot will not shown. On the other hand I
would say the Tamron is cooler as for the lenses I have seen.

> (4) And now to bokeh.  Since this is so important to some folks, I
> took a series of shots with backgrounds from mere millimeters to
> many feet beyond the zone of sharp focus.  And I got just exactly
> what I expected from a pair of lenses of the same focal length and
> with nine-blade diaphragms: Absolutely, positively, no doubt about
> it, there is not one iota of difference in the bokeh.  This just
> confirms my belief that bokeh is dependent on focal length and the
> shape of the iris and nothing else.

Absolutely NOT true, bokeh is related to other factors too, it is well know
that the bokeh of Zuiko 50/1.2 is poorer than the other Zuiko 50s and even
Zuiko zoom. I also have some bokeh test but unfortunately the 50/1.2 was not
included as I sold it due to the poor bokeh.

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/bokeh.htm

> And one further observation.  As I threatened to do, I did a
> different series of test shots with the 100/2 and the 90/2 Zuikos,
> and these show that the 100/2 is definitely sharper than the
> 90/2.  That's why it, along with the 50/2 and the 21/2, are my
> favorite Zuiko primes.  Get them while you can, if you can.  But
> you can't have mine!

I also have both and I agree the 100/2 is slighly sharper but only at wider
apertures, in Modern Photography test result shown they are very similar
when stop down to F4 or below and in photodo you will see the 90/2 perform
even better in MTF.

C.H.Ling