Re: [OM] Help needed for a Motor Drive 1 + M.18V Control Grip 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Help needed for a Motor Drive 1 + M.18V Control Grip 1
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:41:43 +0200
Hi, all.

Many thanks for all your advice about my defective MD1.

>First, remove battery holder from grip and shine a light into the holder.
>Look at the battery contacts inside.  They often melt.

John H., you are The King ;-) They look awful in my battery holder:

<http://217.216.183.47/etc/bh-top.jpeg>
<http://217.216.183.47/etc/bh-front.jpeg>

>Look at the tiny pins on the bottom of the motor.  This pins sit in a
>plastic insulator.  Again, if the pins get hot (like from mounting the motor
>setup to the camera with the switch turned "on") this can cause a surge, and
>melt the insulator.

Mine looks like this: <http://217.216.183.47/etc/md1.jpeg>

Pins 3 & 6 (those for power supply, IIRC) are clearly off-centre, and
somewhat recessed. Also, they've lost the sort of spring-loaded action of
the other pins.

I think it's time to tell the seller. He's a good guy, so I'm sure I won't
have any troubles returning it.

Douglas, you were lucky ;-)

Best regards,

Carlos J. Santisteban