Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body

Subject: Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:45:01 -0400

> Except here in North Carolina.  There are still folks who use the terms
> onest, twice, thrice in everyday language.  I have heard that if you
really
> want to hear "old English" go to parts of the south (especially in the
> Appalachian Mountains which were populated originally by Scotch Irish from
> N. Ireland that came from Scotland after they were chased from London by
> the invading Normans) and it will be closer than if traveling in England.

I don't think that the "Scotch Irish" were ever residents of London either
before or after 1066.

According to a set of Videos on the origins of the English language, if we backtrack, then the order is Appalachian Mts. of the USA (because the good land was already claimed), N. Ireland (where they fought with the locals), lowlands of Scotland (after fleeing from the area around London.

I certainly don't claim any expertise in this area, I only recently became interested in history and genealogy as I became older!

gregg