Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body

Subject: Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:42:42 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Iverson" <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:57 AM

> Except here in North Carolina.  There are still folks who use the terms
> onest, twice, thrice in everyday language.  I have heard that if you
really
> want to hear "old English" go to parts of the south (especially in the
> Appalachian Mountains which were populated originally by Scotch Irish from
> N. Ireland that came from Scotland after they were chased from London by
> the invading Normans) and it will be closer than if traveling in England.

I knew someone who went to a talk at Memorial University in Newfoundland
being given by a researcher from the UK who had done his research on
dialects of English which had died out (it was either his thesis or a major
piece of research he had completed). After the talk, the person I knew and
some of others form the department invited him to stay for a few other days
and they took him around to all the communities in Newfoundland where the
people were still speaking the dialects that his paper said had died out.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/