RE: [OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?

Subject: RE: [OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?
From: "C.H.Ling-Accura" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:08:20 +0800

I had the E-10 (sold after purchased the 10D), it has the best color
rendering and widest D-range among all DC I have used. It is very noise when
compared with 10D. At ISO80 it is good enough for most application, marginal
with ISO160 and not quite usable at ISO320. The major complain is focusing
error at wide angle, the small CCD also cause excessive appearance DOF but
for macro you will like it. The shutter response is extremely fast.

> I don't think a top-of-the-line P&S digicam is the ticket.  I've played
> with some of the better ones in a store, including the Olympus 5050.  The
> 5050 responds too slowly for my style of shooting, and is too
> small for my hands.  Nice camera in general, though.

I just purchased the 5050, it is very nice and I want it to be smaller. Yes,
it is slow like most non SLR DC but good for travel snap and family photos.
If you want to use it for people snap at street then it is really too slow.

> If I upgrade digitally, I'd like something with a physically
> bigger sensor,
> less noise, maybe more dynamic range.  Price is an object.  A used or
> fire-sale Canon D30 is one possibility.  The E-10 or E-20 is another.

I think the D30 is a better choice but I heard the AF speed is very poor.
Also, beware of the wide angle lenses, I found big problem with some wide
angles like 21/2 and 24/2, the edges are very soft when compared with the
center.

C.H.Ling

> Any thoughts on all this would be appreciated.

As E-1 is available soon, I suggest to wait a little bit, I'm pretty sure it
will suit your need.

C.H.Ling