RE: [OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?

Subject: RE: [OM] Opinions on the E-10 (or E-20)?
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:36:20 +1000
> Peter Klein [mailto:pklein@xxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> (The E-10's ISO 320 might be OK, but it has to be a
> usable 320, not noise city).

It's not a solution, Peter - more just digital gaffer tape,
but you might want to give Neat Image a go:

http://www.neatimage.com/

...at least for the noisy pictures you've already taken. It
works amazingly well.

Apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs here.

> If I upgrade digitally, I'd like something with a physically
> bigger sensor, less noise, maybe more dynamic range.  Price is
> an object.  A used or fire-sale Canon D30 is one possibility.

I believe on the EOS list there were some very strong complaints
about the D30's AF ability in low light (such as the non-existence
thereof). This might also stretch to the D60. I *think* the
10D might have improved on this (there's a couple of folks here
who should be able to back that up and give some good OM-folk-type
perspective). I believe all of them are very good at low noise
digital (please correct me if I'm wrong, people). You might want
to check the EOS archives for more of that:

http://members.rogers.com/jul.loke/eosfind.html

FWIW, I've a c5050z. You're right, it's "slow for my style of
shooting", though there are some things you can do to minimise
that. I found them once, and I'll have a looksee to see if I
can get the for you (from memory, they'd be just as applicable
to your 990). Prior committment to the C*n*n SLR system has me
saving for a 10D (or subsequent, preferably cheaper again, model)
in my future most likely.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz