Re: [OM] Minolta Dimage Scan 5400

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta Dimage Scan 5400
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:27:09 +0100

I could not give you a scientific answer f_p, but it seems no faster or slower than the Canoscan FS4000 that I sold to buy the Minolta. However, where the Canoscan used to fanny around before getting on with the business of scanning, the Minolta seems somehow more purposeful. You can see the slide moving back and forth to focus prior to starting the scan. The first film I scanned was this ISO200 Fuji Superia:

http://homepage.mac.com/zuiko/Dinner2003/

I had to do very little adjustment to the colour or light before saving the scans. These were scanned at 2700dpi with ICE & ROC in 8 bit colour. For me this is a tribute to either the scanner or the software. Also, saving the scan takes much less time with Firewire on the Minolta, than with USB1.1 on the Canoscan.

The Minolta has more controls on the front (ON/OFF, Scan, Eject and Focus) so you can control without depending on the software to make its mind up. The Canoscan had only an ON/OFF switch, so if the computer had gone to sleep and would not wake up (a SCSI card problem on my computer), you had to do a switch the power off then on to get the slide to eject and stop roasting the negatives.

I was really dissatisfied with Canon's attitude to Mac OSX, as they had no driver for it. However, no sooner had I agreed a sale with a perfectly charming German lady working in the UK than the gits came up with a new driver (they had denied that they would ever produce one). Now I am waiting for Ed Hamrick to do one for Vuescan - I like a little choice you see...

I hope that this is helpful

Chris