OT, big time Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo O

Subject: OT, big time Re: [OM] Common language, was Cleaning Old Price Tag Goo Off Body
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:07:36 -0400
Cc: <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I see your point.  You'd diagram it
[Corruption (from diverse sources) has wrought]

as if the sources were an optional clause.  But if we remove your "optional"
clause, we have
[the corruption has wrought on
the languge of our youth]

There's no direct object to recieve the action.  I submit:

The diverse sources have wrought corruption upon the language of our youth.

Lama

From: "Chris Barker" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Aha Lama, you fell into my trap ;-).  The verb agrees with "corruption"
which is singular.

OK, it wasn't a trap, but when I read it through (missing the
misspelling of "programmes"), I had to think carefully before leaving
the construction as it was.