Re: [OM] Shots with the 21/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Shots with the 21/3.5
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:52:50 -0300
On 7/20/03 10:15 PM, "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Forward and Back buttons would make it much easier to view the site.

Well I was discussing off-list with another member some issues with my
dynamic script and doing the forward and back buttons and I happened to
figure out a way to do it. In the process I found out a few things:

1. I REALLY shouldn't try to code when I'm severely sleep deprived. I can't
believe how many stupid mistakes I made doing this (apologies to anyone who
tried loading my pages today and got errors). Really stupid things like
adding or subtracting from a variable before I set the variable to the value
I wanted to perform the math on (took my literally HOURS to track down why
that wasn't working). Or even better, I had setup if statements to only
print the previous or next button if there is a previous or next image (so
you don't get a previous button on the first image or a next button on the
last). I spent a long time trying to figure out what was wrong with the
logic in those statements because the links kept showing up even at the
beginning or end. Then I noticed that I was printing the previous and next
links outside of those if statements (so then they always print).

2. Even after I figured out an easier way to do it it was still not easily
accomplished (see 1) so I feel somewhat justified in my earlier statements
that this sounds like it should be really easy but it's not that simple.
However, thanks for bringing it up Moose as it is one of those things I'd
really been meaning to get around to and if you hadn't of mentioned it, it
would still be on the "to do" list for some time.

3. The implementation is not pretty. It took a lot of kludges to get it to
work. It's definitely going to need a re-write at some point in the future.
But it does work.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx