RE: [OM] Travel ki

Subject: RE: [OM] Travel ki
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:24:21 -0700
OK assuming foreign travel without a vehicle: First of all take into
consideration that I don't travel to take pictures rather I want to
document my trip with some decent pictures without being encumbered by a
ton of gear to baby sit. So my criteria is minimalist and expendable.
This rules out big and expensive.  So I take one body, a wide, and a mid
range zoom, say a little 35~70 or lately the 35~105.  Add batteries if
needed and a polarizer and film. Maybe if I were not planning to walk
very far a monopod but more likely my little clamp-pod.  Or if on a
nature type trip a long lens. I want to enjoy the trip and I have never
regretted having a light pack to carry nor lack of gear, and actually
take more pictures if I don't have to fart around with the pile of gear.
Also at tourist sites I find i don't bother with pictures as much
because of all the people.  e.g. Chichen-Itza loses something when
covered with sunburned tourists in Hawaiian shirts, buy a post card.

mike's two centavos