Re: [OM] Flying Legends, was Weekend at Bernnie's

Subject: Re: [OM] Flying Legends, was Weekend at Bernnie's
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:57:43 +0100
Hi Marc

Yes, it was very sad.

The aircraft looked as if it was in an incipient spin from which the pilot recovered too late. He looked as if he was too low and too slow to recover from the steep nose-down attitude Everyone went very quiet and it was a dreadful thing to happen.

Before that, the most stirring thing (and which made the whole day worthwhile) was the sight of the boys in their Spitfires taking off, pretty well en masse. All the aircraft were wonderful of course and some of the formations of dissimilar aircraft (engines, props, power etc...) were quite fantastic. But the first takeoff of the day was 8 or 9 Spitfires (I did not count ;-)). They started on a hot day and some had concerns about overheating (air-cooled engines); some took a while to get the motors going, but overall it must have been so exciting to have been there in a cockpit waiting your turn to taxi.

They lined up on the grass runway and waited for everyone to be ready (one looked as if it was about to return to dispersal). Then they opened the throttles and the thunderous roar of those beautiful engines really stirred me (and most other people around of course). It is the effort that both man and machine make to get airborne, at first moving slowly, but as they approached flying speed the aircraft bounced on the bumps of the grass runway, returning briefly to earth before remaining airborne on the next bounce... and zooming skywards. They looked like playthings then, zipping up in a little tailchase, glinting in turn in the sun, before winging over and swooping back to thrunge (RAF word) past at about 50 feet - still roaring, the P51s later would howl past! And so it went on; wonderful!

The Fairey Firefly was the one that crashed. I took a picture of the crew in their cockpits as they taxiied past before takeoff, the rear seater (gunner?) nonchalantly dangling his arm over the open side-hatch of his cockpit. The pilot waved briefly, then looked forward to concentrated on taxiing safely with that enormous Griffon in front of him blocking his view.

OM content: Gary and I snapped away with OM4/Tis, but we just stood and stared when we realised that the aircraft was not doing the right thing. I said a prayer for the boys...

Chris