Re: [OM] Travel kit questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel kit questions
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:47:44 +0200
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:17:58 -0600
"Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks for all the suggestions; here's a list summarising the
>  various
> suggestions:
>
>  Add an extra body and ext.tube.
>  Add an extra body, lose one lens.
>  Add circular polariser, lose 35-70, 50/1.4, XA
>  Add 500/8
>  Add 135 + 2x converter + closeup filters, lose 65-200
>  Add Tokina 35-200 + Vivitar 19-35, lose 24, 65-200, 35-70, add
>  macro 2x
> converter, lose cable release.
>  Add 35-105, lose 65-200,50,35-70
>
>  which pretty much covers all the options other than "buy Can*n"..

*gg* - this list works pretty much as a quantum computer: ask one
question, and you will get all possible answers back :)

>  I guess I should have explained what I'm expecting to do with this
>  lot. I'm
> not really aiming to take photos for the art of it, I'm aiming to
> take photos to remind me of where I've been. TOPE is a great way to
> remember to take shots that look interesting, of course, but
> fundamentally, I want to take photos while travelling, rather than
> travel to take photos.

Heck, forget what I said. Load your body with some Portra 160VC,
bring the 35-105 and remember to look at the surroundings without a
viewfinder blocking your eye :)

<SNIP - macro>

>  So far, I've found myself in three basic types of photo-taking
>  situation:
> first, when I'm primarily there to see somewhere, photos are more
> of a distraction than anything else -- that's where the XA+ultrapod
> comes along, because it's tiny, takes nice shots, and has enough
> control to let me get the shot I want without giving me the
> opportunity to mess around switching lenses, etc. The alternative
> here is the 35-70 if I want a bit more options for framing; it's a
> nice walkaround lens. (I'm almost tempted by a 35-105 here, I'll
> admit, but I don't know if there's one available around here. That
> said, 24/2, 35-105 + 2x converter would cover a lot of range in not
> much room, just pretty slowly for a lot of it).

Uhh, you are really a gear fetishist, huh? :) The 2x will not be
terribly usefull since, as you say, it will be rather slow with the
35-105 and...well...make no sense with the 24/2 :)

The 35-105 and the 24/2 both take 55mm filters, btw....

<SNIP>

>  So, I think I'm going to stick with what I mentioned in the first
>  place,
> but add a spare body, closeup filters/ext.tubes, 2x converter, and
> see what I end up using.

Let's know how it turns out. And, more importantly, let's SEE how the
shots turn out when you are back :)

>  To clarify more, the first couple of months of travel will be
>  driving
> around NZ in a van, so weight isn't quite as much of a problem as
> it could be. After that, though, we'll be living out of backpacks,
> and at that point I'll start having to think very carefully about
> how much weight makes sense..

Sounds like a really cool vacation. Have great fun -- we'll miss you
while you are away.

--thomas

>  thanks for all the advice! It's good to hear other people's
>  suggestions,
> there's always something I hadn't thought of.
>
>  -- dan

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering